Tuesday 30 April 2013

I got 99 problems and the quarterback is one.

Hey guys,

because the first round of the playoffs are dragging on a bit longer than i expected, I thought I should do a post on the NFL. In this post I will be talking about the quarterbacks in my favorite teams-Phillip Rivers for the chargers and Robert Griffin 3 for my beloved Redskins.

So first onto Phillip Rivers.

Phillip is really difficult to write on because its hard to tell if he is actually a good quarterback or not. His offensive line sucked last year, and for that reason he was awful and was continuously getting sacked, but that being said, a great quarterback would realise that and start to try moving in the pocket. We really didn't see any of that from Phillip last year. He seemed stagnant in the pocket, an easy target for the defense, and eventually lost confidence due to the continuous flow of failed plays.

Personally, I think Phillip is a good player, and he will be able to show that this year with DJ Fluker. Phillip has shown us in the past that he is very talented, and as long as the Chargers manage to surround him with decent players. That was why this years draft for them was awesome. Tom Telesco managed to grab an awesome WR in Keenan Allen and DJ Fluker to work the o-line.

That being said, I really think that Phillip needs to prove himself this year. At least beating the Broncos once would be a start, and greatly reducing the number of sacks would even be better. If he doesn't, I think the Chargers need to start looking at trading up a few places in the 2014 or 2015 draft to get a 1st overall Quarterback- (maybe my favorite quarterback form Oregon- Marcus Mariota?). But Rivers is still fairly young, and for that reason should be able to get a few more years in with the Chargers, and maybe, hopefully win a Superbowl ring.

Now Onto my favorite Quarterback in the league, Robert Griffin the third. I just cant get over how awesome he is. He is an amazing passer, and probably the most talented runner in the league. He is actually like a hybrid between Michael Vick and Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I am deeply worried however, that he could have a sophomore slump next year. Teams may find out how to shut him down, or he could get injured or even worse not entirely recover from last years injury. That being said  I'm sure that he will do well, and have a stunning year in Washington (hopefully).

Also, I hope that the Redskins manage to hold onto Kirk Cousins  He was an awesome backup last year, and if RG3 gets injured, he may be able not only to win some games, but get them into the playoffs- I genuinely believe he has that sort of ability. I also hope that the Redskins manage to hold onto Morris (man they had an awesome draft last year didn't they), he was genuine offensive dynamite, and managed to keep a lot of the pressure off RG3.

As for my general thoughts on the drafts of both teams, they are quite mixed.

The Chargers started off amazingly, grabbing Fluker, Teo and Allen was genius, and in particular I like the pick of Teo. They managed to get a first rounder in the second round with him, and I believe he will stabilize he Chargers defense which quite frankly sucked last year. (Remember the Baltimore game). Seriously, people should stop making such a big deal about the whole catfishing thing, and just let him play, and hopefully play well. The only problem I have now is the fact that I want to buy his Jersey :).

As for Allen, he is awesome, another first round quality player, and I believe that he will put some much needed zing into the Chargers offense, which quite frankly also sucked last year. Him along with Fluker (who has the coolest smile in the world) should do a world of good for the Chargers point scoring abilities.

Sadly however, I wasn't too impressed with the rest of the draft for the Chargers. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't amazing. They also needed to address the o-line far more. Apart from that, Telescos first draft was great.

With the Redskins, I don't really have much to say about their draft. Obviously they lost their first round pick to get RG3 ( that was totally worth it), so therefore their draft wasn't to exciting. It was a good draft nonetheless, and I am sure that barring massive disaster, the Redskins should be able to preform well this year.

Well that's it for this post, I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment