Saturday 6 April 2013

Brittney Griner- going to the NBA?

So, recently, Mavericks manager Mark Cuban announced that if the time was right, he would draft Griner most likely in the second round. If not, he would invite her to summer camp.

Now, I'm split in my opinion on this.

Part of me thinks that it would be great. I genuinely think that if anything Griner could generate a lot of media interest in the NBA, which is why Cuban wants her. She can dunk (unlike most woman) and the actual fact that she is a girl, would make watching the Mavericks interesting ( if that is even humanly possible). I also think she has a genuine skill level, and may be able to average something like four points a game. And I think it would be interesting playing as her in NBA 2k14. And, that being said, she does look hilariously similar to Joakim Noah.



The other part of me says an absolute no. And this is due to a few reasons.

Firstly, he physicality. No matter what way you look at it, women are smaller than men, and therefore she would most likely have problems, especially in the post against much taller male counterparts. I.E Dwight Howard. Also, her vertical is nowhere near high enough to be able to jump over these guys. And while she can dunk, lets be honest, it is nothing more than a rimgrazer. She usually struggles to make the dunk.

Secondly, she really wouldn't be suited to her position in the NBA. She is a center, and while she is relatively tall at 6 foot 8, she needs to be a lot taller to make up for the physicality of her male counterparts. That would leave her having to move to a power forward or small forward position, although these don't really suit her either. Because she really cant shoot being a center, she has gotten herself between a rock and a hard place. She isn't tall enough to be a center, yet she cant shoot well enough to be a PF or SF.

Finally, and although I'm definitely not a sexist, she is a girl. This brings a whole new set of rules about it regarding to fouling etc, and this could complicate things.

But overall, I think she would be an interesting edition to the NBA, and If I lived in the States, I would definitely pay to see her play.

I genuinely wish her the best in her basketball career, and even if she does not make it into the NBA, she will be a star in the WNBA, most likely picking up a lot of new fans for the league, which would ultimately be good for everyone involved.

Oh well, that's it for this short post, make sure that you keep reading, and more importantly, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment